Let's Geek

Last week I was dancing around the web while Marieta and I were watching a show that shall remain nameless. I found a list of things guys need to give up by the time they turn 30. Well I'm only 25 so I have some time before any of this matters (not that I would follow it anyway). One of the things mentioned was no longer going to movies with robots, superheros, comic books characters, and basically time travel goodness on opening weekend. Marieta laughed and laughed and laughed. Well ha! I saw Iron Man anyways. BY MYSELF! Wait... that's kind of a loser move. Who cares, it was worth it, and I'll likely do it again. Why am I posting? ... OH YEAH!

On Monday Marvel Comics/Movies released its movie production plans for the next few years. After Iron Man destroyed the box office this past weekend they couldn't have scripted a better moment to let everyone in on the good stuff. If you go to imdb.com and search marvel enterprises you see these awesome names listed: Iron Man (2008), The Incredible Hulk (2008), X Men Origins: Wolverine (2009), Thor (2009), X Men Origins: Magneto (2009), Silver Surfer (2009), The First Avenger: Captain America (2010), Iron Man 2 (2010), Nick Fury (2010), Avengers (2011).

Now there are others sprinkled throughout there but these are the big ones/quasi-confirmed ones. Thor, Capt. America, Iron Man, Avengers were the main movies that Marvel disclosed on Monday. Obviously an attempt to setup the Omega movie: Avengers. Makes sense, Xmen has run its course (at least the current incarnation), Fantastic Four was pathetic (I have never been more upset with a movie experience than the Rise of the Silver Surfer), and Spiderman seems to have blown a flat. If Iron Man had not been a smash success Marvel may have been in a lot of trouble (considering they funded the film on its own). To keep the money train rolling The Avengers needs to be setup properly to get done right.

Item one: Casting/Director. Robert Downey Jr. was perfect. What could be said beyond wow. He may be one of the few actors who seriously has no use for directors. He appears to read a script and immediately know what his role is. Rumors are floating about Captain America (Matthew McConaughey). Personally I feel that's horrible. Although I do like him for Thor. Read a Thor comic (if you can stomach it) and you'll know why Goldy Locks is perfect for it. If Capt. America is the next big coin flip for marvel I think they better get the best director possible first, actors follow directors. I'm thinking a few candidates are Jonathan Mostow (terminator 3), David Fincher (Seven, Fight Club), and Paul Greengrass (Bourne Ultimatum). I don't see Fincher doing any hero flims (he seems to like movies where the main charactor is reluctant to particpate in the plot), Greengrass appears to be tied up with another Bourne flick, and Mostow rocked Rise of the Machines. I think he could really knocked Captain America out of the park. The action, the mythology, the necessary flashbacks...

Who should play Captain America? Well Saddly Aaron Eckhart is now a D.C. entity with the Batman movies. Cary Elwes, although british, could pull of the look, but maybe not the machoism. I think everyones pull a rabbit out of a hat fav is Brad Pitt. I swear I remember him saying Captain America is the only superhero he would play. If that is true, call him right now. The box office would easy destroy spiderman.

Item Two: Storyline. Where to go with Captain America? He wasn't truly the original avenger. I mean he's a super soldier who joined the Avengers down the line. Would the story start with World War II and end up being a cyrogenic modern day story? I mean that sounds up Tony Starks alley. Plus Pitt and Downey Jr. on screen together might be pretty cool dynamic. And you know a freshly thawed Captain America dealing with terrorism, the Chinese revolution, and renewed Russian relevance is something everyone could get behind. So many places to go. I just hope they pull it off.

I could go on for hours about this but I think i will leave it with a few thoughts. A) Go see Iron Man. B) Go see Iron Man again in Digital. C) Read the Marvel Civil War Books because that is the next stop on the marvel gravy train if they can keep it up till roughly 2015. D) Come on Brad, stop having babies and sign on to this one. Okay that was fun, Marieta, you can eat it. Superheros for life!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eddie Morra is an Idiot

This book should not exist

Top 10 Things of 2019