My Favorite Creative

As I type this two drastically different things are happening; I'm in California for a film festival and my mother, Linda Boberg, is lying in a Des Moines hospice bed. In fact she started hospice care the day I flew out here. As you can imagine, I'm experiencing quite the emotional tug of war.

When you have a kid you commonly examine where they get certain traits. I've always been able to parse that I get my emotional, empathetic tendencies from my mother and my pragmatic, compartmentalizing skills from my Dad (another raging tug of war at the moment). This list could go on forever, but one thing I've never fully understood is where my creative drive came from. Now with the writing on the wall, it's obvious my mom flipped the creativity switch.

It wasn't until my Mom self-published a novel at 65 years old that I understood how creative she is. In the last three years she's self published half a dozen books and written many more. Her first bout of cancer in 2013 unlocked her prolific need to write. And with each book, I've been nothing short of amazed at how easy storytelling comes to her. She's incredibly inspiring.

As a child, I knew she had been a writer professionally before I was born, but never considered maybe she wanted to write fiction. Consumed by your own interests and experiences, I assume few children can thoughtfully examine their parents hopes and dreams. Now, at 40, en route to an event I've always wanted to attend (the 48 Hour Film Project's annual Filmapalooza), I remember all the times my Mom championed my music making, TV projects, podcasting, singing, writing efforts, and filmmaking. I'm eternally grateful she was able to see my short film, "The Run," which punched my ticket for Filmapalooza. She was in the theater as the laughs rang out and attendees came up and congratulated our team on making something so fun. 

Turning that focus around, I can't think of an equivalent moment for her. She was an awesome Mom growing up and organized a lot of awesome school events where administrators, teachers, students, and parents told her she did an excellent job, but that's not exactly the same as recognition for a creative work that wouldn't exist without your talents making it happen.  

When you create something you first want to please yourself by producing something you're proud of but closely thereafter you hope there's an audience for your creation. Awards are nice, recognition is great, but the more people who see and enjoy your efforts the better.


2020 unboxing her first shipment of printed books.

Mom is a romance author and from the moment she published "Finding Peace," her first novel, she's quipped about maybe one day being a best selling author. I actually helped come up with her pen name, Adelyn Zara. While her work might one day luck into finding its audience, by not experiencing a wave of sales she has occasionally down played her work as an expensive hobby rather than valid art. 

Immediately I told her you don't need sales, views, engagement, any of that nonsense to validate your art. I've created works that have played nationally, and YouTube videos that have 6 views. I'm happy with both. If you want to chase the audience dragon there are certainly short cuts to exploit but being happy with what you've made is far more important.


Still, we're only here once and I really do wish my Mom's writing found it's audience while she is here. I could, and probably should, write 6,000 words on how and why I love my Mom but right now, I'm just waiting in Los Angeles to fly home and see my Mom for the last time. I'm not certain I made the right choice coming out but at least I had her blessing. The day before I came out and Mom's doctors told her that her medication was doing more harm than good, I asked if I should cancel my trip and she burst awake and said "No, I want you to go." She knows how much joy filmmaking brings me and how I've wanted to come to this event for years. So I came out, but it hasn't stopped me from crying a few times while walking the streets of L.A.

My Mom has always been a constant example for finding happiness and doing what you love. She's always supported me, brother, and sister to find what makes you excited to wake up early and get moving. For her that has been writing and it's just only now I'm realizing how gifted she was. She may not have much time left with us, but she will always be, my favorite creative. I hope one day readers find out why. Love you Mombo.

If you're interested in reading any of her books, please visit www.AdelynZara.com.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eddie Morra is an Idiot

This book should not exist

Top 10 Things of 2019