Double Chick Flick Weekend

This weekend, better known as "Double Chick Flick Weekend," was pretty sweet. I found out about a pretty sweet documentary this past Thursday; The Business of Being Born. Now this sounds like a scathing look at hospitals and the way healthcare is set up in America. Well partially... but that was all a side bar to the main idea of Midwifery/homebirths vs. hospital births. There was absolutely no way I would have found of about this film if it wasn't for cinematical.com. It's not that cinematical has this far reaching eye for film (yes they're great but some deeply independent stuff seems to slip by) but this movie has no marketing budget. Let me give you the trailer:



Now this may be completely off putting to any one who has a y chromosome but dude, you are totally missing the point. Yes you're gonna see my births up close and personal. you're gonna see some goo and bloody babies. But it is really amazing. Especially the first birth they show on camera. Not something I am gonna ruin for you. I was one of 3 men in a theatre of about 50 women. A lot of crying going on. I heard several women say they were midwifes, a handful were pregnant, and the other two guys appeared to come attached just as I did. This whole thing was right up Marieta's alley. Being a dietitian she is always interested in things about babies and living healthy. She cried at each birth (and there were four or five of them), she was lucky she had a ton of tissue. I can't recommend this flick enough. If you're lucky enough to be in a town that will show this movie in a theatre, GO CHECK IT OUT! You may not be lucky enough to see it in an awesome theatre like The Roxie, but wherever this film is showing I'm sure it's just as cool.

Oh and if you are a friend of Marieta's, chances are you will see this movie because she has already vowed to show it to anyone she knows who is going to have a baby.

The other Chick Flick? 27 Dresses. Myself, Marieta, and about 200 other women enjoyed this movie together. Kind of cliche, a chick flick with the double crossing, and whinning, and "sexy guys," and silly girl fun/lingo... but I liked it. There is a scene with the song Benny and The Jets that made me laugh outloud. Plus the guy from the trailer (who played Cyclops) was really good. Maybe he isn't a jerk (Cyclops is my least favorite superhero of all time). This movie may have been a big hit for Marieta because she is waist deep in wedding planning and anything to do with weddings is a good time for her.


Okay, to leave you with something not so girlie and sappy, Marieta and I ate the best ale house I have ever tried out. The Monk's Kettle. Pretty happening place but we had a table the second we walked through the door. The entire restaurant/bar is about the size of a three car garage, and the decor is that of a hip basement; clam shell mood lights, roughed grooved marble booth separating walls. I was seriously digging it. Beyond the setting, the beer list was 6 pages long. broken down by style (3 pages) and Belgian varietals (3 pages). I bet you have never been to a cooler place. The food was pretty good as well. I had a pulled pork bbq sandwich. Marieta had some Fried goat cheese bruschettea deals and black bean cakes with some tasty sauce. Come to town and I will take you here. So, freaking tasty. What was my favorite part? I asked our server about my choice "Death & Taxes" and she gave me a few nuggets of info; Marieta asked about a couple different IPAs, the server told her to go with the Moonlight label Whats their deal? Well this guy in Sonoma runs this outfit with no employees and no help. He doesn't care for labels and only sells kegs to local pubs and delivers them himself. How can you not be sold on that? Just as it was wavering my love of San Francisco has been revived. Peace

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eddie Morra is an Idiot

This book should not exist

Top 10 Things of 2019