Why NCAA Football & Basketball Suck This Year

So I'm watching the tournament the past couple of days and I realized that I don't have a horse in this race. Yes I want Kansas to represent the big 12, and I would love Drake to go deep (too late for that); however, I really don't care. After some confusion about this whole ordeal I have figured it out.

Earlier this week I was watching Pardon the Interruption and Michael Wilbon made a very true comment. There aren't any GREAT teams this year. I don't care about UCLA, Kansas, Memphis, or UNC. They don't seem that good. I think last years Florida would destroy them all. For the past few years there have been some amazing teams; Florida repeats, UNC and Illinois were insanely good in 2005, UCONN was a powerhouse for years... Great teams.

Now am I bothered by the fact no team stands out this year? Eh... a little bit. The same goes for NCAA football? Who was amazing this year? No one. The upsets were amazing, but maybe they shouldn't be considered upsets if supposedly great teams lose to schools from the bottom or middle of the pack. Maybe those "great" teams were just overrated. USC with Bush/Leinart, Texas w/Young, Miami w/its crazy stable of backs around the turn of the century, and maybe Florida w/Tebow next year. Great teams.

So I'm thinking about these teams and what compelled me about them was that they drew emotion and ire from me. I loved some and hated others. I think the need for great teams plays into our need for visible dichotomy. America loves favorites and underdogs, Hereos/Villians, Republican/Democrat, With us or Against us, etc. For some it takes a lot to invest yourself in an issue if you can't take your stand on face value. That means work (which points out how lazy we can be). Some teams just make you hate em, or love em: USC- hate em when they are crowned before the start, Duke- hate em when they are in contention, Patriots- a lot of people hate em, but how can you hate Tom Brady he's so good.

Am I rambling? I just wish I could care about one team in this tournament enough to tune in. I have yet to watch a good chunk of any games in this tourney. I'll probably watch a few due to working at a CBS affiliate, but otherwise, I don't care.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eddie Morra is an Idiot

This book should not exist

Top 10 Things of 2019