Down and Dirty Local Music

Most Wednesday evenings I can be found chilling at home, either working on my Masters degree or hanging with the wife. Last night was a completely different story. Thanks to a school night gig from my good friends in Handlebar I spent my Wednesday evening in one of Des Moines' newer local venues, the Gas Lamp, getting to know a couple hard-as-rusty-nails local rock acts; Viva Montesa and Superchief, and you know I brought my camera along to share with you good people.


These guys flat out rock. I've seen a lot of local acts in my day. More often than not you are subjected to new acts because they're riding the bill of groups you dig, well Viva Montesa is the gut-punching except to that norm.


There are obvious comparisons to be drawn with their sound but I'll leave that for someone else. I've seen few local acts in my day that kept me engaged from the top of their set to the bottom. I only wish I had decided to film their entire performance. When I see them again I will film and share my favorite of their tunes, a beautiful little diddy titled "Keep It Nasty."

Up next on the bill was the heavy metal act Superchief. Handlebar has been talking NON-STOP about these guys for the last two months. As expected they lived up to the hype.


I don't think I've ever seen a more riff/guitar solo heavy band in life. Their set was the musical equivalent of repeatedly getting hit the in face with a sledgehammer. I am not a big heavy metal guy but good grief were these guys good. There is some serious talent in this group. Dig 'em? Pick up their album.

Of course the night was rounded out with a quiet, heartwarming set from my pals in Handlebar.


While I keep bugging them about new material, these kids continue to set my music craving tastebuds on fire. Responding to siren song of Handlebar on Wednesday night for an 11:30 performance is not an easy call to answer, but I'm damn glad I did.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eddie Morra is an Idiot

This book should not exist

Top 10 Things of 2019