Extending the Sabbatical

It is a pretty widely held belief between both my family and my friends that one day Marieta and I will move back to the Midwest, most likely Iowa. Why? Well I was born in Chicago, have lived most my life in Iowa, and Marieta has close to her entire family an hour outside of Des Moines. I understand that "need" to be close to your family. It's part of the reason I like living in California. I haven't lived with 6 hours of my parents in 7 years, let alone the same state ( I won't get into the ridiculousness of SoCal and NoCal being one giant state).

So is this idea true? Yes, Marieta and I both agree at some point we will be living in the breadbasket. Now the question is when? I heard last year when I lived in Chicago that Des Moines is getting a NBDL team, The Iowa Energy, which does kind of excite me, is the DL offspring of the Miami Heat and the Chicago Bulls. I would have season tickets if I lived there. Now when I originally heard of this team I said "Well maybe when we move back in 3 or 4 years I will get season tickets." That was last February and 3 years would put us in DSM in 2010/11. That means I have 2, maybe 3 and a half years left to adventure out into the world before I return back to my step-mother city. Having only lived in San Francisco for about 5 months I don't like that. Here is why:

A) I like California a lot. I wont say love because I cant watch any of my sports teams and my closest friends aren't out here. Love is reserved for places you want to live your whole life and I don't think I should live here my whole life. I am still really excited about this town and all the adventures in the bay area I have taken. All the towns, Tahoe, Northern California, festivals, that Big wheel race down lombard street, etc. I need a total of 3-4 years here before I will feel satisfied.

B) The Pacific Northwest has always been intriguing to me. It is a part of America that has a culture all its own but it isn't nationally revered like the south, the New England Area, Phili-Manhattan, Texas or California. Possibly because it's history isn't nationally linked to any war or pervasive culture explosive. BUT THAT'S WRONG! Seattle has Starbucks, a music scene that has influenced every decade, and possibly some of the best tasting fish you can find anywhere on Earth. So what am I getting at?

Marieta and I watch a show called Taste of America with Mark Decarlo pretty close to every night of the week (I still hold strong to the Tivo being the 2nd greatest invention ever). Well on it he goes to Portland's Voodoo Doughnut. I am so there. Yes, that's right. I want to live in Portland, and it's all because of a crazy doughnut shop. Now it is also considered the best planned city in America, Chuck Palahniuk is from there, and they have the Trailblazers. Now if all if you got is a basketball team, chances are you are a fanatic. Portland here I come. It may not be as far northwest as Seattle but that's fine by me. I feel the draw of the state with supposedly the most supernatural activity in the world.

So where does this leave us?

Living by the bay until roughly Spring 2011, and Portland until maybe 2014-15. That's pretty do-able. That would mean close to a whole decade away from Des Moines. Well it is all conjecture, but it's fun to think about. peace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eddie Morra is an Idiot

This book should not exist

Top 10 Things of 2019