No School Like the Old School


I used to have the well earned reputation as the kid who was always carrying a camera. Starting in about 8th grade or so I fell in love with videotaping all of the shenanigans my friends and I got into. Then in 11th grade I was introduced to the world of "non-linear editing" with programs like Avid, Final Cut Pro and Media 100 and my fate was pretty much sealed. This "Got Pat?" promo, along with its sister video, were the product of my video production education during my short stay in Grand Rapids and helping produce "Central Sights," the morning news announcements at Grand Rapids Central High School. My friend Chris Ostertag is the guy manning the camera here. After getting a well rounded feel for Final Cut I never put my camera down and ridiculousness ensued.


One of my favorite memories of my Grandpa Joe was him telling me I could drive with as many girls in the car as i wanted, it was when you get a car full of boys that you start doing stupid things. Well Grandpa as it turns out that rule applies to boyhood activities outside the car as well. Of course my video making skills weren't only used for tomfoolery...


This video my buddy Chris and I made for a 10th grade biology presentation. Chris dressed up in a dinosaur halloween costume I wore when I was 4 years old. All of the editing was done in camera with fades and hard cuts. Quasi-educational, ridiculous, and fun... a summary that works for this next video as well.


This video was actually the first thing I ever edited in an non-linear program. I think I used every transition and text color available. I still love this thing, but maybe not as much as the next video.


This "Friends" video was a gift I gave all of my close friends in high school. I threw in as much video I could find. I know, it is dripping in nostalgia. Makes me miss all of these kids.

Okay, this post is almost over, but before I wrap it up I must include my greatest high school accomplishment: Midwest $$.


Good Times.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eddie Morra is an Idiot

This book should not exist

Top 10 Things of 2019