Lapadicalous


This picture was taken on New Years Eve 1999 at the first show of Eight Miles Out (then called High Jinx). Kind of funny how much time has past since that day. I still remember our setlist. Chris' Song "Vegas," my tune "SubDude," "Josie" by Blink 182, "Two Princes" by Spin Doctors and I think (could be wrong) we played "Chick Magnet," by MXPX. It was pretty awesome... kind of. Our only practice occured the night before, Chris had his wisdom teeth taken out four days earlier and was nursing a broken foot, I lost my voice from jamming out "Feel Like Making Love" for a hour and a half the night before, and to top it off Andrew, our drummer at the time, had the flu and was seriously jetlagged having returned from Poland only two days before the show.
I have memory of us being pretty terrible that night but you know what? It was awesome. Chris and my musical bromance had been brewing for a few years (our previous ska group "Preshrunk" featured me as guitarist/lead singer and Chris on the saxophone as leader of the horn section), but High Jinx was a dream we had been working on for a couple years.
Five years, Four drummers, a line up shake up, a slew of shows in front of close to no one, and recordings of every piece of junk we ever wrote. The only thing I would trade it for was the opportunity to be a one hit wonder. Why am I rehashing this all? Because of something historic. Feeling an itch this weekend I went through all of my Minidiscs, DAT tapes, and zip discs looking for old recordings I did with every group I was a part of.
I knew what most of this media held but didn't expect to harvest it all because my 8 track died years ago and I figured the mini disc would be toast. Turns out, my 8 track didn't die. It was just really stubborn. So after years of anguish I can finally listen to 6 of the last 7 songs Eight Miles Out ever recorded. There would have been 10 recordings but Alex pooped out after I beat him with a whip for 4 hours to get the drums down. Oh well, 6 songs is better than nothing. Give me some time and I'll post them up here for all to cherish.
In the mean time. Enjoy an even older relic from days gone by... Ladies and Gentlemen: GID.

Comments

One Train said…
And it happened at my house!

Popular posts from this blog

Eddie Morra is an Idiot

This book should not exist

Top 10 Things of 2019