Top 10 Things of 2019

Like everyone I love lists; however it feels like I no longer have the time to sit down and give every sub-genre of life and culture it's due. So here are the top 10 things I experienced this year.




10. Disneyland with Emmalyn
As it turns out, I have been to Disneyland once a decade since my visit in 1993 (and for some reason always within a few days off Christmas.) This decade's visit came this year with my family, Marieta, and Emmalyn along for the ride. It was really fun, especially riding the Dumbo ride, Emmalyn's first rollercoaster, watching the parade with Emmalyn on my shoulders, and the end of night fireworks.

9. Seeing "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" at Story City Theater
Quentin Tarantino's ninth film "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" is easily the most rewatchable film of the year, a cinematic feast for the eyes, ears, and mind, and each viewing offers something new. My favorite part about seeing it was my second screening occurred at the oldest, continually operating theater in Iowa. Tons of history and charm and I got to watch maybe the best film of the year while enjoying it.

8. All on Black experience
I've already dedicated an entire post to my experience playing with All on Black, my one-night-only tribute band to Alkaline Trio. While the show wasn't perfect, the show wasn't as fun an experience as the jams leading up to it. The connection and vibe you get from jamming with a group is a singular experience. Loved it every second of it and can't wait to do it again.


7. Visiting Two National Parks
This past October, Marieta's family invited us on a trip to Tennessee and Kentucky for some national park adventures. I love national parks and I have never spent any real time in the South so I was on board from the jump. While we spent eight days in the South only two were in Smoky Mountains National Park and Mammoth Cave National Park. Our trips always seem to be a little rushed with family, but two days is better than none. Saw awesome sights and went places I never knew existed.



6. Iowa Land and Sky
Even though this was two years in the making, producing, releasing, and all the side adventures that came with Iowa Land and Sky was incredible. I met a slew of interesting, intelligent, and dedicated people, learned a lot about Iowa, got to pilot a drone countless times and capture some really cool shots, and then cap it off with a few public speaking opportunities. The best part is, the fun isn't over! I'll be speaking in a couple weeks about the entire experience at the Science Center of Iowa. I hope there are a few dozen future projects half as cool as Iowa Land & Sky.


5. Hiking on Marieta's Birthday
My wife is a wonderful, smart, beautiful, and caring person. But probably my favorite thing about her is her adventurous side. She loves to hike, explore, paddle, and be out in nature. And she is just as excited as I am to share that with my daughter. For her birthday she wanted to go for a hike at Ledges State Park and not only did the weather cooperate, but Emmalyn had a lot of fun. Much of the hike I found myself reflecting on how fortunate I am to have two such incredible women in my life.



4. Kayaking down the Mississippi
Marieta's hike pairs so perfectly with my August kayaking adventure. For eight perfect hours I was able to paddle the biggest river in the country, in its most beautiful setting, with people and yet by myself. As much as I like hiking, there is something to the water, repetition of paddling, peaceful surroundings, being with people but also experiencing something totally separate for multiple, continuous hours that forces you to reflect. While I was on this adventure for work, it was still my adventure and experience. I spent a good two solid hours just thinking about everything I have in life and how fortunate I am for some the breaks that have come my way. Also, where I put in hard work that paid off. Was a great day but also a fulfilling one.



3. Making two short films
This year I made two short films with Tiny Explosions; one being "Red Flag" made during 48, the other being "Family Tree" made for the 100 Hour Film Race. I love making short films. The producing days can be chaotic and a touch anxiety ridden, but ultimately provide a glimpse of exactly what I want out of life. I still harbor the dream of making a feature length film. It will happen, will it be something I can say "That is a Patrick Boberg Film."? Hmmm... hopefully. For the moment, Tiny Explosions scratches the itch. I like to frame the group as a collective of creatives and everything we produce should give everyone involved the juice of how fun it is to produce a film. While neither of these shorts are what I would say reflect my specific storytelling voice, they have a few touches here and there that ring my bell, and are incredibly fun to make and watch. As of right now "Family Tree" has yet to be publicly screened, but all in good time my friends.


2. Three visits to California
This year, Marieta, Emmalyn, and I were able to make it out to California twice together. On top of that I made it out a third time for work. I love California and I love that my parents have lived there for much of my adult life. While that time appears to be coming to a close, I relish every opportunity I have to be out in my favorite state, doing something new, with the people I love the most. Here's hoping one day we get to live there again.



1. Emmalyn Rogue Boberg
Rogue is my jam. I love this kiddo. Every time we get to play together, read a book, go on "holiday," or simply brush teeth, she fills my heart with joy. We did so much this year; dozens of parks, museums, fun on the farm, hide and go seek, play cooking, reading hundreds of books, visiting something like eight states, roller coasters, games, hike, the State Fair, etc. Way too much to recount! Having a kid is everything I hoped it would be and judging by her mannerisms and performative style, the future looks like nothing but awesome. I'm not someone who has "always wanted to be a Dad" but I knew one day I would be. The thing I always knew is if I had a kid, that kid would be the coolest and Emmalyn is well on her way.



Thank you 2019, here's hoping 2020 keeps the party rolling. Happy New Year!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eddie Morra is an Idiot

This book should not exist