Reprising the 90s: The Grubby Ernie Reunion Show


The "big bang" of my connection to local music dates April 22, 1999. Why do I know that specific date? Because the first local band I specifically sought out to see live (outside of my circle of friends playing music) was Grubby Ernie, opening for the Toasters at Val Air Ballroom. Thankfully the website for Grubby Ernie -who called it quits over a decade- is still up and running with ALL their past shows, photos and links to their recordings.

Grubby hit at the perfect time in my musical world; I was huge into Ska and pop punk and they put on a crazy fun show. I dragged about 10-12 of my friends to that show and we spent the night bouncing around and skanking like morons their entire set. A little moment in time that I have no pictures or video of (a rarity in my life). In a semi-related bit of trivia, a couple years later my old band High Jinx experienced one of its most fun shows opening for Grubby Ernie who had sold out the Maintenance Shop in Ames.



Fast forward to this past Saturday and Grubby Ernie's reunion show; 14 years after that initial encounter with Ames most beloved ska-punk band. After years of pleading the guys relented and put on one last show for their friends and fans whose love and admiration has yet to fade. Back in June when my good friend Brian Hogan told me about the show, a staunch adherent to the church of Grubby, I knew I had to film the show. While I wasn't able to stay till the end, I hope this 25 minute cut of Grubby's first set warms the cynical punk hearts of other local music fans, who most certainly have similar memories of this band. Hopefully this isn't the last we hear from them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eddie Morra is an Idiot

This book should not exist

Top 10 Things of 2019