What's a Sling Cam

So here is the complete get up I talk about my sling cam assignments (or roving web cams). Of course there is a camera, which is connected to the router there on the end of the table. Now that router is where the magic happens. Its called a sling cam because that router uses a slingbox to send the video over the web. Normally a slingbox is a consumer product that only transmits television but one of my bosses, Don Sharp, figured out how to send live video, and now it's a pretty famous get up.
Now to power the router and slingbox there is a very heavy battery and battery bar converting that power into normal wall a.c. In this shot you see a tripod and laptop. Normally I don't have either of those, but since this time I went to a press conference and I had plenty of time to set up Don gave me all the goods to make sure I got a good shot and everything was transmitting well. See the laptop configures the router and makes sure the sling cam is seeing what we want it to. 

So that's it... Normally it's all in that backpack and I'm wondering around all day but this is a special circumstance where I could set it up and show you what it all is.
I just wanted to show you the difference in size of the sling cam (soon to be decomissioned for a a nicer panasonic camera) compared to the normal photog DVC camera. Man, could you imagine me walking around downtown S.F. with that DVC camera and a 20 backpack for 8 hours? YIKES!
Oh, I was at my gig, an hourahead of time so I had plenty of time to people watch from the ninth floor of the Oakland Police Department.  See that taller builder in the middle, the brown one? That's the Oakland Marriott. Connected to that building is the Hertz I first worked in when we moved out to the Bay Area. Ah Oakland... good times.
Oh and here is a little treat for the kids. I made a kids book for our wedding. 20 pages of Bunny & Turtle goodness. Time to get this show on the road. I'm working at Hertz today. Well... atleast I hope I am. I was put on notice that since I only contributed close to 20 hours to Hertz all month that there is a strong chance I could get laid off. You know I wouldn't be surprised if goes down today, new work week (pay week starts on Fridays at Hertz), they can cut me check for last week today... hmm... I'll keep you posted. Peace

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eddie Morra is an Idiot

This book should not exist

Top 10 Things of 2019