My 103 Degree Sick Day

Within seconds of landing in San Francisco Sunday I get a call from Marieta telling me she has a messed up foot and we need to go to the E.R. as soon as she lands (we flew separately because we bought our tickets a week apart). So I call in sick because she doesn't land till 10p, my shift would have started at 330a, and there was no way I would have gotten anything resembling a reasonable amount of sleep after visiting the hospital.

The good news was Marieta's foot wasn't broken, just had a fresh bruise that reacted poorly to swelling due to flying, the bad news: we didn't get home till after 2a and I was starting to feel extremely sick. After passing out I wake up at 4a and feel some serious internal pressure building at both ends. Without getting too graphic lets say I fought a nasty war and left the battlefield in tatters at 430a.

We didn't wake up till 130p. I would kept on sleeping but I had some business to take care of. After struggling to stay awake for two hours we succumbed to our urge to sleep and didn't wake up till 6p. so all together that's close to 15 hours of sleep.

I cannot remember feeling as bad as I felt that evening. Marieta started worrying that my burning up was a dangerous fever and so with her one good foot, and me deliriously stumbling around our apartment, we searched in vein for our thermometer. When it was no where to be found we had a dilemma; take some tylenol and hope my fever isn't too bad, or go buy a thermometer. Well I was pretty out of it but I knew that if my fever was like 104 I was in virus country, and would need to see a doctor, so I opted to buy a new thermometer.

So I got dressed and drove to the store feeling like a disgusting bag of sick. Got my goods and put them to good use on the drive home; 102.3 degrees. Not to deathbed bad. Popped a couple Tylenol and waited an hour. 103 degrees... hmm.... that shouldn't happen.

At this point it's 7p and I gotta make a judgement call. Assume I'll be all clear come 230a and go to work on Tuesday or call in sick and give myself another day to fully recouperate. Well Marieta was getting worried so I jumped in the tub and took a 10 minute shower just above chilly to plan out my next move. My fever moved back to 102 but I wasn't feeling much better. Made the call and planned on relaxing my Tuesday away.

From there nothing really happened other than 7up, crackers, and tv but man was that Sunday evening thru Monday evening stretch horrible. I've used sick days in the past for days I didn't feel well but it has been a long, long time since I seriously couldn't eat or even motivate myself to watch tv. That's right, I skipped the NCAA Nat'l Championship game. I just couldn't focus on anything. Doesn't appear I missed much but the idea I couldn't watch basketball should tell you something.

I have something else to reveal (my Monday midday business) but I need to talk with some important people about it first. So stay tuned. It's something you'll want to know.

Comments

Hannah said…
Man, I'm glad you are feeling better. That sounds like an awful virus. I hope Marieta is feeling better too!

Popular posts from this blog

Eddie Morra is an Idiot

This book should not exist

Top 10 Things of 2019