Evening with an Artist


Do you know the man pictured above? Would it help to tell you he's a publish poet? That he is going on Tour with his first book in February? That doesn't help? Hmm... What if I told you he was my best friend in the 6th grade? Oh yeah! Now you remember, Josh Boyd!

Josh is all grown up now and if all the branches hold up on the tree during his climb he'll soon be a successful poet. Really cool. A couple months ago Marieta was working with a new Dietetic intern at WIC. She was a pretty cool chick (just as into food and baby stuff as Marieta) and after some back and forth it turned out her fiance is Josh. Marieta said to me one day before we headed out to the farmers market "When you used to play out with your band did you ever meet a guy named Josh Boyd?" Haha, I met Josh long before I was ever in a band.

Anyways we got to talking, and he was telling me about his poetry, the book, his tour, and I thought this would be a perfect scenario to put my love for short character based documentarys (a la Current.com stuff) to good use. So last night I swung over to the Drake area around 9 pm and shot about 30 minutes of Josh rehearsing with his musician friends. The room was a little dark and you can hear me messing with the camera here and there but I think this quick little cut up is kind of cool. Check it out:

Thursday night Josh is playing a show in the East Village with these kids and I'm gonna tape it. In the end I hope to put together like 8-10 minute piece on Josh's art and how he got to where he is. I'm pretty excited for it.

Update: Pick up Josh's book of poems Catacomb Confetti.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eddie Morra is an Idiot

This book should not exist

Top 10 Things of 2019