You Should See "To Catch a Dollar"

Before you read this post, watch this documentary trailer.



I see a lot of films. Most I see in my personal time are good, the films I see for work can be a coin flip, and sometimes I see a film that is straight up inspiring; such is the case with To Catch a Dollar.

To Catch a Dollar details the work of Grameen Bank, a non-profit microloan institution that started in Bangladesh 34 years ago and recently has founds it way to the states. It's an amazing idea. Something my Dad turned me onto this past Thanksgiving with Kiva.org, another microloan operation that utilizes the generosity of websurfers to fund loans.

This is Hannah Wairimu Waruir, a Kenyan woman I recently helped buy a dairy cow, chaff cutter and animal feed through a Kiva loan:


Kiva ask lenders for $25 loans to help borrowers reach their loan goal; Hannah's was $925. Eventually I'll get my 25 bucks back, I can cash out, or re-lend. Lenders can make as many $25 loans as they want. I think it's exciting to think for the cost of a night out for two you can help someone in a third world, or America, better their situation.



If you watched the trailer you don't need me to explain how it works, but one thing the trailer doesn't tell you is that it does works and it not only helps those who can't get their hands on funds to fuel their super low scale enterprises, but it opens your eyes to the world of small and local business. Living in San Francisco, I can't tell you how many little whole-in-the-wall shirt shops, hat shops, random restaurants... those are all local businesses. Those people most likely work 10-12 hours a day and that shop is their livelihood. After seeing To Catch a Dollar I really feel the need to support only local businesses, people in my community who need our neighbors support.

One thing I often think about is how we are the first generation that really nearly full of people who won't have claw their way through life to provide for their family. We can afford to spend money on frivolous things  and random entertainment items. Our parents and our grandparents come from a time when people worked and most come from a community of people who worked together to build something. They believed in something. Over the last few years it's been really importnat to me to believe in something, stand for something, and spend my time and money on something concrete. To me this film could do that for others, provide that nudge that says "Hey, I may not be rich, but I have means and the time to stop and think about how I can better the world around me."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eddie Morra is an Idiot

This book should not exist

Top 10 Things of 2019