Because Jacob Made Me!

We are coming up on the Film Review special at work and Jacob had mentioned that he was considering putting together a "Best of the Decade" since they are popping up around the interweb. Initially I was against it because the decade truly ends in 2011... however including 2000 allows me to drop in some of my favorite films and I love lists (who doesn't?)

First things first; this list will probably change in like 5 years when I finally see all the flicks I've missed over the last two or three years. Now... chow on this:

P@'s Top Ten Films of the 00's

2) Almost Famous (2000)
3) DiG! (2004)
4) Happy-Go-Lucky (2008)
5) Once (2008)
9) Snatch (2000)

A quick explanation:

Eternal Sunshine ~ not only does this flick have some of the coolest visuals I've ever seen but the story is rock solid, the acting is perfect across the board, and just mentioning the title makes me want to pop in the DVD. Also, kudos to Jim Carrey's last good movie.

Almost Famous ~ Hard to believe this came out in 2000. How can you argue with how good this film is? If you have ever been in a band you know the dynamics at play here. If you have ever been a music junkie you know what the main character is going thru. Plus the directors cut is incredible. Should have won the Oscar.

DiG! ~ Just watch it and tell me it's not incredible.

Happy-Go-Luck ~ I love the main character. So much fun and a non hollywood story. I watched this three nights in a row.

Once ~ Again, if you've been in a band, a songwriter, or had your heart broken you know what's up with this guy. And the tunes? please, incredible.

Lost in Translation ~ This may be the trendiest film of the decade and I can't escape it. The soundtrack amazing and it helped remind everyone that Bill Murray is possible the greatest living actor- Definitely the greatest to come from Chicago.

Confessions of a Dangerous Mind ~ I love spy movies, this one has Sam Rockwell and George Clooney it's too bad it has Julia. So good, so fun, great visuals

Inglorious Basterds ~ I had to include something QT and this film wins based on the incredible performance from the bad guy and Tarantino's willingness to take the script where it needed to go. I love when a film puts a cherry on top with its final scene and Basterds is Example A with this films closing scene.

Snatch ~ I love the script and character interplay in this film. Plus it comes off as a heist film even though the heist is less than 10% of the film. Plus similar to Basterds the happy ending is exactly where the plot needed to go. Also, one of the few films I like with voice over carrying the plot.

Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? ~ Simliar to Basterds there was no way I was gonna keep the Coen's out of this list but for my money they haven't really produced a show stopper in the last 10 years. Miller's Crossing is still my personal favorite and I am just waiting for them to top it. Oh Brother is great stylization, soundtrack, story telling, and the film that turned me around on Clooney (along with Ocean's 11). So many great quotables.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Eddie Morra is an Idiot

This book should not exist

Top 10 Things of 2019